Essential Canning Techniques and Information
By Leda Meredith, About.com Guide
Step-by-step instructions for boiling water bath canning, pressure canning, and other canning how-to's.
- How to Can Food in a Boiling Water Bath
- How to Can Food in a Pressure Canner
- High Altitude Canning
- How to Test Jellies for the Gel Point
- How to Sterilize Jars for Canning
What you need to know about why different canning methods work for different types of food, how they were developed, and how to ensure your home-canned foods are absolutely safe and delicious.
- The 2 Kinds of Canning - What You Need to Know
- Acidic vs. Alkaline Foods and Canning
- From Napoleon to Mason Jars - The Brief History of Canning Food
- How to Remove the Risk of Botulism from Canning
These classic recipes are great ones to start with if you're new to canning...or even if you're a pro!